An agricultural centre at the foot of Mount Somma, it has long been a sought-after holiday resort.
It was dominated from above thanks to the Castle which in 1085 hosted Pope Gregory VII and in 1304 was destroyed by Charles of Anjou and then rebuilt from 1567 by Bernadetto de' Medici.
The town preserves several churches of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries including the imposing sanctuary of St. Michael Archangel.
Area 19,8 km²
Postal Code 80044